Apple currently offers 4 different models of AirPods for sale. The most affordable option of the bunch is the AirPods 2nd generation that only costs $99 on Amazon and $129 on Apple’s website. This is the AirPods 2 variant that comes with wired charging case.
For anyone looking to buy his or her first pair of AirPods without spending a lot of money the AirPods 2 with wired charging case is a great option provided you are ok with the tradeoffs that come with this product, which was originally released back in 2019.
When it comes to audio quality AirPods 2 are not designed for an audiophile or someone who cares deeply about music’s audio quality. However if your target is to get a device that offers exceptional connectivity, great battery life and the ‘magical’ features that have become a staple of the AirPods brand, then AirPods 2 are worthy of your consideration.
Features of the AirPods 2nd generation include:
- Fast setup and seamless switching between different devices.
- Hey Siri support that lets you control audio and communicate with Siri.
- H1 Chip and touch controls that let you pause and play music.
- 5 hours of listening time and 24 hour charging backup through charging case.
AirPods 2 vs. AirPods 3
While AirPods 2nd generation offer a respectable list of features, there are many features that it lacks, which you can find on AirPods 3.
Things you are not getting on AirPods 2 but are available in AirPods 3, which cost $179 on Apple’s website and $149 on Amazon are as follows.
- Spatial Audio with dynamic head tracking.
- Force Sensor controls and AirPods Pro inspired shorter stem.
- 6 hour listening time and 30 hours charging backup with charging case.
- Adaptive EQ that tunes music to your ear.
- Sweat and water resistance with IPX4.
- Qi Wireless charging and MagSafe support.
Apart from the extra features that are mentioned above all of the other features of AirPods 3 are also available on AirPod 2, which sells for a significantly lower price point and is $50 cheaper on Amazon.
Should you buy AirPods 2 right now?
AirPods 2 is an affordable option for anyone looking to get the basic features of AirPods with decent audio quality but does not want to break their bank. However if you can spend $50 more, then you can also get AirPods 3 from Amazon at just $149. So in the end it all comes down to pricing and how much money are you willing to spend.
If you choose to save your money and get the AirPods 2, then you can rest assured that you are getting a solid product that works just as advertised and will last you years.
The seamless connectivity, H1 Chip, Automatic switching between connected devices, Hey Siri support, amazing battery life are all great features of AirPods 2 that still make it pair of truly wireless headphone worthy of your consideration.