Every Mac gives users an option to set a firmware password. A firmware password is important for those users who don’t want other users of the machine to boot the Mac from any disk other than the designated one. The designated storage drive for startup can be selected from the Startup Disk preferences.
When Mac firmware password is turned on and a user tries to start up from a storage device other than the designated storage device, then the Mac will ask to enter the firmware password before proceeding. The firmware password will also be asked when starting up from macOS Recovery.
So, today I am going to share with you how to set a firmware password on a Mac and how to turn off firmware password.
Set A Firmware Password On A Mac
Following these steps to add a firmware password to your Mac.
- Put your Mac in macOS Recovery
- On the utilities window, click ‘Utilities’ and select ‘Startup Security Utility’ or ‘Firmware Password Utility’.
- Now click on ‘Turn On Firmware Password’
- Now type the firmware password and ‘Set Password’
- Exit the utility, go on the Apple menu, and ‘Restart’
- Enter the firmware password when the lock and password bar appear
Turn Off A Firmware Password
In case you need to turn off the firmware password, follow the simple steps below.
- Go to ‘macOS Recovery’. While starting up your Mac, enter the firmware password when asked to do so.
- On the utilities window, click ‘Utilities’ from the menu bar.
- Click on ‘Startup Security Utility’ or ‘Firmware Password Utility’.
- Now click on ‘Turn Off Firmware Password’.
- When asked, enter the firmware password.
- Exit the utility, click on the Apple menu and ‘Restart’.
Note: In case you forgot your firmware password, you will have to schedule an in-peron appointment with Apple Store or any Apple Authorized Service Center.
Did you find this guide useful? Let us know in the comments below and share this post with your friends and family.
For more useful posts for your Mac, stay tuned to iOSHacker.com.
More Mac Tutorials you should check out:
- How To Move Data From Old Mac To New Mac
- How to Shutdown, Restart, Sleep or Log Out on Mac with Keyboard shortcuts only
- Turn iPhone Into A Webcam With Free Reincubate Camo App
- How To Send iMessage Text Effects On Messages For Mac
- How To Create A New User Account On Mac