In order to take full advantage of your iPhone, iPad, Mac or even Apple TV you need to have an Apple ID. This is the ID you can use for iCloud, Facetime, iMessage and much more. Just like any other account on the internet an Apple ID is protected with a password of user’s choice. More often than not we tend to forget our Apple ID password and need to change it in order to regain access to our accounts. In this post we will show you how you can easily change Apple ID password in case you forgot it or if you just want to change it for security reasons.
Change Apple ID Password in case you forgot it
If you no longer remember the password to your Apple ID, then you have to follow the steps below in order to reset it.
Step 1: On any web browser open appleid.apple.com.
Step 2: Click on ‘Forgot Apple ID or Password?‘.
Step 3: Now Enter you Apple ID and then click on the ‘Continue‘ button.
Note: From here onwards your options will be different if you have two-step or two-factor authentication turned on. In that case scroll down for instructions.
Step 4: Now you will be asked if you want to reset your password or security questions. Select Password and continue.
Step 5: On the next screen you will get two options, to get reset instructions on your email or to answer your security questions. Select the one that’s preferable to you.
Step 6: If you chose the email option, then you will get an email shortly. Open the email and click on ‘Reset‘ link.
Step 7: Finally enter your new password, then re-enter it and click on the ‘Reset Password‘ button.
Done! This is how you change Apple ID password in case you forget it.
Two-step authentication users
- After step 3 above, enter you Recovery Key.
- Choose a trusted device on which the verification code will be sent by Apple.
- Enter the verification code.
- Now enter your new password and click on the reset password button.
Two-factor authentication users
- After step 3 above enter your trusted phone number and then select how you want to reset your password and click ‘Continue’.
- You will now receive a notification on your trusted device or the phone number. Tap on the Allow button and then follow the on-screen instructions to reset Apple ID password.
There’s also an option for users who have trusted device with passcode feature enabled. You can change Apple ID password directly from your trusted iOS device. Simply open Settings > iCloud. Tap your name and then go to ‘Password & Security’. Finally tap on change password option and enter your new password.
Change Apple ID Password in case you still remember it
In case you still remember you Apple ID password but want to change it for security or other reasons, then you can follow the steps below.
- Open appleid.apple.com on any web browser.
- Go to Security section and click on Change Password.
- Enter your current password.
- Now enter your new password and then re-enter it.
- Click on the ‘Change Password’ button.
That’s it. Now you can sign in to your Apple ID with the new password.