Apple’s Macs that includes MacBooks and desktop machines rarely malfunction. However when you are experiencing problems with your computer, usually the easiest and most effective way of fixing those issues is to reinstall macOS.
Macs make reinstalling macOS a very simple affair, all you have to do is turn on your computer and press a key combination to start the macOS reinstallation process. In this article we will step by step guide you on how to reinstall macOS on your Mac as quickly as possible.
Before you start the reinstallation process turn off the Mac. If it is a MacBook, then make sure it is plugged into a power source. The best thing about reinstalling macOS in this way is that your data will stay intact and nothing will be deleted.
Now its time to start the process. Apple allows users to select the version they want to install on their Mac by pressing different key combinations through macOS Recovery.
For example, you can choose to reinstall the same version that is currently installed on your computer, install the latest available version or reinstall the macOS version that came pre-installed when you bought it, provided it is available. If the same version is not available Apple will install the closest one that is available.
Choose which version you want to install
Hold down the following keys as soon as you turn on your Mac to access macOS Recovery. Only release when you see the Apple boot logo or a spinning globe.
- Command + R: This will reinstall macOS version that is currently installed on your Mac (or install the latest available version closest to the version you had installed). This will not install the latest available version of macOS.
- Option + Command + R: This key combination will download the latest macOS version available at that time.
- Shift + Option + Command + R: This will reinstall macOS version that came pre-installed on your Mac or the closest version that is available to it. This option works on macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later including macOS Catalina.
Reinstall macOS on the Mac
1. Now from the macOS Utilities window select the ‘Reinstall macOS‘ option.
2. Click on ‘Continue‘ button and follow the onscreen instructions.
3. Now select the startup disk and hit the ‘Install‘ button.
4. At this point you might be asked to enter your Apple ID details. If this happens enter the details to continue.
Once the installation is complete your Mac will restart. After this you will be able to use your computer without any problems.
There you have it, this is how you can reinstall macOS on your Mac the right way.