Apple has launched the driver’s license and state ID in Wallet feature in Arizona today, making it the first US state to offer this feature to iPhone and Apple Watch users. If you live in the state of Arizona, then you can add your driver’s license and state ID to Wallet.
Apple says the driver’s license and state ID in Wallet will be making its way to other states including Colorado, Hawaii, Mississippi, Ohio and territory of Puerto Rico. Seven other previously announced states will also be getting this feature soon that includes Connecticut, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Oklahoma and Utah.
Once the IDs have been added to the Wallet app, users are able to present it at select TSA security checkpoints in Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.
Adding driver’s license or state ID to Wallet app is quite simple.
1. Users can launch the Wallet app and tap on the ‘+’ button located at the top of the screen.
2. Then they can select ‘Driver’s License or State ID’ and choose if they want to add ID to iPhone and Apple Watch or just iPhone.
3. They are then asked to scan the front and back of the ID with the iPhone’s camera.
4. After that users are required to take a photo using the front facing camera of their device.
5. Next users are asked to verify with Face ID or Touch ID before their data is sent to the issuing state for verification.
In addition to this users are asked to perfect facial and head movements during the setup process for fraud prevention.
The Driver’s License and State ID in Wallet app feature is available on devices running iOS 15.4 or later and watchOS 8.4 or later. Users are required to have iPhone 8 or later and Apple Watch Series 4 or later for this feature to work.